During the 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine, Russian troops in the occupied regions of Ukraine have systematically stolen grain and other products from local farmers. According to the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine, as of mid-May 2022, at least 400,000 tons of grain were stolen and exported from Ukraine.  A study by the Kyiv School of Economics found that the Russian invasion cost Ukraine's agricultural sector $4.3 billion in destroyed equipment, damaged land and unharvested crops.
As of October 2022, the widescale theft of Ukrainian grain was continuing and involved both private companies and Russian state operatives. Some of the stolen grain is laundered through transfers and by mixing it with legitimate goods. Financial Times identified Russian businessman Nikita Busel, general director of the government-run State Grain Operator, as one of the heads of the operation.
For eight years, starting in 2014, grain from the self-proclaimed DNR and LNR came to Russia. According to the BBC, intermediaries transported grain from Donbass farmers [to Russia], went through customs, everything was paid for by bank transfer, through Russian banks. They unloaded at the warehouses of Russian buyers, and they were already selling grain as Russian.
- ^ "Tracking where Russia is taking Ukraine's stolen grain". BBC News. 2022-06-27. Archived from the original on 2022-06-27. Retrieved 2022-06-27.
- ^ Tim Lister and Sanyo Fylyppov (2022-05-12). "Russian ships carrying stolen Ukrainian grain turned away from Mediterranean ports -- but not all of them". CNN. Archived from the original on 2022-06-15. Retrieved 2022-05-19.
- ^ "Ukraine says Russia stole 'several hundred thousand tonnes' of grain". Reuters. 2022-04-30. Archived from the original on 2022-05-11. Retrieved 2022-05-20.
- ^ MacDonald, Alistair; Grove, Thomas (2022-06-17). "Ukraine's Farmers, Contending With Stolen Grain and Mined Fields, Now Say Land Is Being Seized". The Wall Street Journal. 0099-9660. Archived from the original on 2022-06-19. Retrieved 2022-06-20.
- ^ a b Ivanova, Polina; Cook, Chris; Pitel, Laura (30 October 2022). "How Russia secretly takes grain from occupied Ukraine". Financial Times. Archived from the original on 30 October 2022. Retrieved 17 November 2022.
- ^ Oanh Ha, K.; Quinn, Aine; Dodge, Samuel (17 October 2022). "How Russian Ships Are Laundering Grain Stolen From Occupied Ukraine". Bloomberg. Retrieved 18 November 2022.
- ^ ""Было украинское, стало русское". Кто и как вывозит из Украины зерно". BBC News Русская Служба.
Part of the Russo-Ukrainian War