|Born|| (1997-10-20) October 20, 1997|
Yesan, Chungcheongnam-do, South Korea
|Revised Romanization||Song So-hui|
Song So-hee (Hangul: 송소희; born October 20, 1997), is a South Korean singer who specializes in traditional Korean music known as gugak. She rose to fame after winning the KBS National Singing Contest in 2008 at the age of 11, earning her a reputation as a gugak prodigy. The South Korean government honored Song with the title, "Best Korean of the Year," in 2010.
Early life and education
Song was born in Yesan, Chungcheongnam-do, South Korea on October 20, 1997. She is the eldest daughter of Song Geun-yeong (her father), and Yang Bok-rye (her mother). She has one younger sister, Song So-yeong.
Song displayed her talent for music at a very young age, which she later attributed to her father's habit of singing minyo, a genre of Korean folk songs, to her. When she was five years old, her parents enrolled her in a gugak academy to develop her singing skills. She studied under gugak singers Park Seok-sun and Lee Ho-yeon, the latter of whom is classified as a "Living National Treasure" by the South Korean government. She learned to play traditional Korean percussion instruments under samul nori master Lee Gwang-su.
Song became famous nationwide after she performed "Changbu Taryeong" at the 2008 KBS National Singing Contest. Her performance left a deep impression upon the viewers. She won the grand prize in the contest and became the youngest grand prize winner in the 29 years of the contest's history.
Since then she performed on several popular Korean TV programs such as Star King, KBS Open Concert , and Yoondohyun's Love Letter . She sang songs such as "Changbu Taryeong", "Taepyongga", "Arirang", "Batnori", "Gunbam Taryeong", and "Battuiwara" on these programs and became more famous.
Her appearance on Star King in 2008 led her to another important training opportunity from Master Lee Ho-yoen, who is a specialist in Gyeonggi minyo. Having been impressed by So-hee's talent, Master Lee volunteered to provide training for her on a regular basis. Minyo (Korean folk music) literally means "song of folklore" and is the traditional music sung most frequently by Koreans. Minyo is broadly classified into three types according to region: Gyeonggi, Namdo, and Seodo Minyo. Gyeonggi Minyo is traditionally popular in the central area around Seoul.
"She was born with a gift for singing Minyo. She has high-pitched voice tone and it's a clear, ringing voice (which is essential for singing minyo). She also has an extraordinary sense of pitch which enables her to learn new songs with ease. Also, her Bangulmok, a singing technique of Korean traditional music is exquisite"
Since 2008, she has been invited to perform at various events, both at home and abroad. Her main domestic events are Celebration of the 60th anniversary of the Republic of Korea in 2008, Baekje International Cultural Festival in 2010, Jeonju International Sori Festival in 2010, and Public Broadcasters International Seoul Meeting in 2011.
Song's popularity rapidly spread around the world due to her online videos and also the online replay services of South Korean TV programs she performed at, allowing people around the world to watch her performances. Many of them were stunned by her performances and fell in love with her and minyo.
Such international recognition provided her with opportunities to perform abroad. Since 2009, she has been invited to perform at official events and a variety of culture exchange events in various countries including Japan, Russia, and the United States. Some of those are the Korea-Japan Culture Exchange in 2009, the celebration of the twentieth anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Korean and Russia in 2010, the Korean Festival in 2011, and the Opening events of Korean Cultural Center India in 2012. In 2010, the government chose her as "Best Korean of the Year", an yearly award for someone who has graced and enriched the nation. In 2014, Song sang "Arirang" at the closing ceremony of the Sochi Winter Paralympics on March 10, and also won first place on the July 26th installment of "Immortal Song 2". As an artist signed under Warner Music Korea, Song So-hee has released two mini-albums and one single: 2015's New Song, 2016's "Love, Seasons" single, and 2018's Modern Folk Songs (a collaboration with the band Second Moon).
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions||Sales|
|Modern Minyo (모던민요)
with Second Moon
|Title||Details||Peak chart positions||Sales|
|My country, Korea||
|Title||Album details||Peak Download Chart Positions||Download Count|
|Immortal Songs: Singing The Legend - Jo Young-nam (Part 1)
as lead & title track artist
|February 15, 2010||Golden Oldies||1163||Lunar New Year Special||"Binari|
|August 16, 2010||Golden Oldies||1184||Arirang Special||"Gangwon-do Arirang"|
|September 20, 2010||Golden Oldies||1189||Hangawi Special||"Roasted Chestnuts & Changbu Taryeong"|
|October 25, 2010||Golden Oldies||1194||Golden Oldies 25th anniversary Special||"Nulilririya"|
|January 3, 2011||Golden Oldies||1203||Happy New Year||"Song of Peace"|
|March 7, 2011||Golden Oldies||1212||Spring Welcome||"Nodeul Riverside"|
|October 17, 2011||Golden Oldies||1244||Favorite Songs 3||"Camellia Girl"|
|September 16, 2013||Golden Oldies||1340||Hangawi Special||"Harvest Song & Song of Peace"|
|October 7, 2013||Golden Oldies||1343||Mokpo Song Festival Special||"A Boatman's Song"|
|March 1, 2014||Immortal Songs: Singing the Legend||142||Independence Movement Day Special||"Arirang Alone" (Hong Kyung-min feat. Song So-hee)|
|July 26, 2014
August 2, 2014
|Immortal Songs: Singing the Legend||158-159||Jo Young-nam||"I Can't Live Without Love"|
|September 1, 2014||Golden Oldies||1383||Songs of my Heart||"Song of Youth"|
|September 13, 2014
September 20, 2014
|Immortal Songs: Singing the Legend||165-166||Saturday NightHeat||"Tomorrow"|
|February 21, 2015||Immortal Songs: Singing the Legend||187||Traditional Folk Songs||"A Boatman's Song"|
|April 25, 2015||Immortal Songs: Singing the Legend||196||Seo Yoo-seok||"Sky"|
|July 11, 2015
July 18, 2015
|Immortal Songs: Singing the Legend||207-208||Goo Chang-mo||"Lost"|
|October 3, 2015||Immortal Songs: Singing the Legend||219||Jo Su-mi||"If I Leave"|
|January 4, 2016||Golden Oldies||1448||Wishes for the New Year||"Arirang Alone"|
|April 16, 2016||Immortal Songs: Singing the Legend||247||Lyricist Kim Dong-chan||"Love and Seasons"|
|May 28, 2016||Immortal Songs: Singing the Legend||253||Composer Baek Yeong-ho||"Haeundae Elegy"|
|September 3, 2016||Immortal Songs: Singing the Legend||267||Drama Soundtrack Special||"Onara & I Can't Say Goodbye"|
|October 15, 2016||Immortal Songs: Singing the Legend||273||Arirang Special||"Gangwon-do Arirang"|
|February 25, 2017||Immortal Songs: Singing the Legend||292||Songwriter Choi Jong-hyeok||"This is Goodbye" (with Ko Youngyeol)|
|September 9, 2017||Immortal Songs: Singing the Legend||320||Songwriter Kim Ki-pyo||"Seoul Woman" (With Ko Young-yeol)|
|December 16, 2017||Immortal Songs: Singing the Legend||333||Songwriter Shin Jung-hyeon||"I Will Forget You"|
|March 3, 2018||Immortal Songs: Singing The Legend||344||KBS 45th Anniversary Special||"You Say It's Over" (with Ko Young-yeol)|
|March 24, 2018||Immortal Songs: Singing The Legend||347||Legendary Songs In Textbooks||"Face" (with Second Moon)|
|April 12, 2018||All That Music||295|
|August 25, 2018||Immortal Songs: Singing The Legend||368||Gayo Stage Special||"Tearful Dooman River"|
|March 23, 2019||Immortal Songs: Singing The Legend||397||Cheong Tae Choon & Park Eun Ohk||"Garden Balsam"|
|May 11, 2019||Immortal Songs: Singing The Legend||403||Han Dong Jun & Yurisangja||"Only You" (with Son Tae-Jin)|
|January 4, 2020||Immortal Songs: Singing The Legend||437||New Year Special||"In the Wilderness" (with Ahn Ye-Eun)|
|February 29, 2020||Immortal Songs: Singing The Legend||445||Jung Su-ra||"Have You Seen My Love"|
|March 20, 2020||All That Music||378||"Magic Lily" (with Ahn Ye-Eun)|
|June 13, 2020||Immortal Songs: Singing The Legend||460||20th Anniversary of the
June 15th North–South Joint Declaration, Here Comes Peace
|"As I Live & Song of Peace"|
|October 24, 2020||Immortal Songs: Singing The Legend||479||2020 Korean Traditional Music Special||"Pollack"|
|November 14, 2020||Immortal Songs: Singing The Legend||482||BTS X Pdogg Special||"Spring Day"|
|August 2, 2021||Chosun Pop, Drop the Beat||2||"Odolttogi & Gangwon-do Arirang" (with Second Moon)|
|January 30, 2022||Thank You Everyone, Song Hae||N/A||Commemorative musical for Singer and Television host Song Hae||"Odolttogi"|
|2021–present||Chosun Pop Drop the Beat||Host|||
|2021–2022||Goal Girl||Cast Member||Season 2|||
- Korean hanbok ambassador (2022)
- "송소희" [Song So-hee]. Daum 100 (in Korean). Retrieved 2018-05-08.
- Park, Jeong-ho (2014-02-20). "Song So-hee, a gugak prodigy". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2018-05-08.
- Sohn, Ji Ae (2014-03-19). "Gugak star Song So-hee: 'Gugak is my destiny'". Korea.net. Korean Culture and Information Service. Retrieved 2018-05-08.
- Jeong, Eun-chae (2017-09-09). "송소희, '불후의 명곡' 여신 등극". Korea Daily (in Korean). Retrieved 2018-05-08.
- Yun, Jin (2009). "[만나고싶었습니다] '민요신동' 송소희(충남 예산군 덕산초등 5)양". Hankook Kids (in Korean). Retrieved 2018-05-08.
- Jang, Eun-ju (2015-06-14). "[톱클래스] 새로운 국악으로의 초대 국악소녀 송소희의 'NEW SONG'". The Chosun Ilbo (in Korean). Retrieved 2018-05-08.
- Choe, In-jin (2016-02-16). "'국악 소녀' 송소희, 단국대 국악과 합격". The Kyunghyang Shinmun (in Korean). Retrieved 2018-05-08.
- "[만나고싶었습니다] '민요신동' 송소희(충남 예산군 덕산초등 5)양" (in Korean). 2009-01-21. Retrieved 2018-10-27.
- "[영상] "폭포 밑 트레이닝" 송소희 공연…해외 누리꾼도 극찬" (in Korean). MT.co.ko. 2014-04-11. Retrieved 2018-10-27.
- Sohn, JiAe (Mar 19, 2014). "Gugak star Song So-hee: 'Gugak is my destiny'". Korea.net. Retrieved 2018-10-27.
- "송소희 So Hee Song - 아침의 노래 [Teaser]" (in Korean). 워너뮤직코리아 (Warner Music Korea). 19 April 2015.
4월 23일, 젊은 국악의 아이콘 송소희의 첫 미니앨범 "New Song" 발매!
- "Album details- Love, Seasons". Dynamic Range Database. Retrieved 21 March 2018.
Album: Love, Seasons. Year: 2016 . Label: Warner Music Korea
- "Apple Music 미리보기 - 모던민요. 송소희 & 두번째 달" (in Korean). Retrieved 21 March 2018.
모던민요 송소희 & 두번째 달 . 2018년 3월 21일
- "Gaon Album Chart" (in Korean). Gaon Music Chart.
- "New Song charting".
- "Modern Minyo charting".
- "April 2015 Gaon Album Chart" (in Korean). Gaon Music Chart. Retrieved 2018-05-07.
- "Love, Seasons by So Hee Song on Apple Music". apple.com. Retrieved 18 May 2018.
25 Jul 2016
- "[Mnet] 불후의 명곡 - 전설을 노래하다 (조영남 1편) - Various Artists". mnet.com (in Korean). Retrieved 18 May 2018.
아티스트 : Various Artists. 발매일 : 2014.07.26. 앨범종류 : 컴필레이션/1CD. 음악장르 : 가요 > 발라드. 기획사 : KBS 유통사 : 로엔엔터테인먼트.
- "gaon chart" (in Korean). 27 July 2014.
Raking: 98 (new). Title Track/Artist: 사랑 없인 못 살아요 / 송소희 불후의 명곡 - 전설을 노래하다 - 조영남 1편. Download Count: 18,239. (제작)KBS미디어 (유통) 로엔엔터테인먼트
- Kim Min-ji (August 2, 2021). "송소희, '조선팝 드랍더비트' MC 합류…깜짝 진행 능력" [Song So-hee joins 'Chosun Pop Drop the Beat' MC... amazing progress ability]. News1 (in Korean). Retrieved August 2, 2021 – via Naver.
- Yoo Kyung-sang (October 14, 2021). "골때녀' 송소희, 새 팀 FC 원더우먼 합류 "매주 풋살한지 8개월" [결정적장면]" [‘Goal Girl’ Song So-hee joins new team FC Wonder Woman “It’s been 8 months since I played futsal every week” [Decisive Scene]] (in Korean). Newsen. Retrieved October 14, 2021 – via Naver.
- Son Bong-seok (July 28, 2022). "대한민국 한복 홍보대사 ' 국악인 송소희 선정" [Selected as ‘Korea Hanbok Ambassador’ Song So-hee, a traditional musician] (in Korean). Sports Kyunghyang. Retrieved July 30, 2022 – via Naver.
- Official website (in Korean)
- Official Instagram (in Korean)
- Personal Instagram (in Korean)