|Type of business 02||Subsidiary 02|
|Headquarters||New York City 02, New York, United States|
|Key people||Danny Peterson, Managing Editor|
Joseph Woelfel, Managing Editor
Jill Marchisotto, CMO
|Products||Financial literacy website|
|Parent||The Arena Group|
TheStreet is a financial news and financial literacy website. It is a subsidiary of the Arena Group. The company provides both free content and subscription services such as Action Alerts Plus a stock recommendation portfolio co-managed by Bob Lang and Chris Versace.
Early years: going public
TheStreet, Inc., (formerly, TheStreet.com, Inc.) was co-founded in 1996 by Jim Cramer and Marty Peretz. It became a public company via an initial public offering in May 1999 under the direction of former CEO Kevin English and former CFO Paul Kothari.
In July 2001, David J. Morrow, a former reporter for The New York Times, joined TheStreet, Inc. as its editor-in-chief upon Kansas's departure. Glenn Hall, a former news manager at Freedom Communications (The Orange County Register) and Bloomberg News, replaced Morrow in August 2009. William Inman, former Bloomberg News Editor, replaced Glenn Hall as Editor-in-Chief in March 2012. Janet Guyon, from Fortune, The Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg and Investopedia replaced William Inman in April 2014.
Early 2000s: profitability and CEO changes
Under the direction of former chairman and CEO Thomas J. Clarke Jr., the company reported its first annual profit in 2005. Jim Cramer became chairman in October 2008 and served in that capacity until 2011.
Daryl Otte, a long-time company director, became CEO in May 2009 after the resignation of the former CEO, Thomas Clarke. Otte is the founding partner of Montefiore Partners, a venture capital investment fund management firm, and a former executive at media company Ziff Davis.
In November 2007, the company acquired BankingMyWay and RateWatch.
In 2008, the company acquired a 13% stake in Geezeo.com, a Boston-based online management tool, with an option to purchase the entire company.
In August 2007, the company acquired Corsis, including Promotions.com for $20.7 million. It was sold to management for $3.1 million in December 2009. Executives of the company were later accused of inflating revenues and paid penalties to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
In April 2013, TheStreet Inc. acquired financial newsletters The DealFlow Report, which covers microcap stocks, including initial public offerings and private placements, and The Life Settlements Report, which focuses on life insurance settlements, as well as the PrivateRaise database.
2010s: pre-sale moves
theMaven/The Arena Group
In August 2019, the Maven acquired the company for $16.5 million. The company also partnered with Sports Illustrated Fantasy to launch Bull Market Fantasy with Jim Cramer, a channel offering insights, analysis and tips for winning fantasy sports leagues.
During the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic, TheStreet received between $5 million and $10 million in federally backed small business loans from JPMorgan Chase Bank as part of the Paycheck Protection Program. The company stated it would allow them to retain 15 jobs.
In 2021, theMaven rebranded itself as The Arena Group. 
In December 1999, TheStreet entered into an agreement with the Israeli newspaper publisher Haaretz, to invest $2.25 million in exchange for a 25% stake in TheMarker, a new business news website in Hebrew and English. According to the investment agreement, TheStreet.com published selected news and articles on Israeli technology companies from the TheMarker site, and in exchange TheMarker published selected news and articles from TheStreet.com.
- "TheStreet's Best Newsletters and Subscriptions for Stock Traders and Investors". TheStreet.
- "Subscribe to Action Alerts Plus". TheStreet.com.
- Kuhn, Daniel. "What Investors Need to Know About Oil, Halliburton and Earnings". TheStreet.
- "RealMoney". realmoney.thestreet.com.
- SEITZ, PATRICK (March 9, 2015). "10 relics of the dot-com era trading well below their old highs". Investor's Business Daily.
- Rewick, Jennifer L. (April 3, 2000). "TheStreet.com Stock Swoons As Financial Chief Departs". The Wall Street Journal.
- Gamerman, Ellen (July 21, 2000). "Wall Street bullish on nation's future". The Baltimore Sun.
- "TheStreet.com Guide to Smart Investing". TheStreet.com.
- "Activist urges Cramer to sell TheStreet". Financial Times. December 4, 2014.
- Potkewitz, Hilary (March 13, 2009). "Street.com CEO quits after Cramer's TV flameout". Crain Communications.
- "William Inman Named Editor-in-Chief of TheStreet" (Press release). GlobeNewswire. March 14, 2012.
- "Janet Lynne Guyon Appointed as Editor in Chief of TheStreet.com" (Press release). PR Newswire. April 24, 2014.
- "TheStreet.com Posts Loss, Names Jim Cramer Board Chairman". TheStreet.com. October 29, 2008.
- "TheStreet.com Appoints Daryl Otte New Chief Executive Officer" (Press release). Business Wire. May 19, 2009.
- "TheStreet.com Names Daryl Otte CEO". TheStreet.com. May 19, 2009.
- "Elisabeth DeMarse Named CEO and President of TheStreet" (Press release). PR Newswire. March 7, 2012.
- Baron, Michael (March 7, 2012). "TheStreet Hires Elisabeth DeMarse as CEO". TheStreet.com.
- "TheStreet.com Acquires Stockpickr.com" (Press release). Business Wire. April 25, 2007.
- "TheStreet.com Acquires BankingMyWay and RateWatch to Provide Best Bank Rates Online" (Press release). Business Wire. November 2, 2007.
- "TheStreet.com Invests in Geezeo". TheStreet.com. April 24, 2008.
- "TheStreet.com Acquires Corsis, Including Promotions.com" (Press release). Business Wire. August 2, 2007.
- McAuley, Erin (December 19, 2012). "TheStreet Deals With SEC on Accounting Fraud". Courthouse News Service.
- Baron, Michael (September 12, 2012). "TheStreet Acquires The Deal for $5.8 Million". Thestreet.com.
- "TheStreet, Inc. Completes Sale of its Institutional Business" (Press release). PR Newswire. February 14, 2019.
- "TheStreet Acquires The DealFlow Report, The Life Settlements Report and PrivateRaise Database" (Press release). PR Newswire. April 22, 2013.
- "TheStreet Acquires DealFlow Media". TheStreet.com. April 22, 2013.
- "TheStreet Completes Acquisition of BoardEx" (Press release). PR Newswire. November 3, 2014.
- Yu, Roger (June 9, 2016). "USA TODAY editor Callaway leaving to become TheStreet CEO". USA Today.
- "S&P Global to Acquire RateWatch" (Press release). PR Newswire. June 20, 2018.
- "TheStreet Announces Sale of RateWatch to S&P Global for $33.5 million" (Press release). PR Newswire. June 20, 2018.
- "TheStreet Closes $87 Million Sale of TheDeal and BoardEx". TheStreet.com. February 14, 2019.
- "Maven Closes Acquisition of TheStreet, New Jim Cramer Deal Announced" (Press release). Business Wire. August 8, 2019.
- "Jim Cramer and TheStreet Launch Bull Market Fantasy Channel on Maven" (Press release). Business Wire. August 22, 2019.
- Syed, Moiz; Willis, Derek. "THESTREET, INC - Coronavirus Bailouts - ProPublica". ProPublica. Retrieved 10 July 2020.
- Matt Townsend (7 July 2020). "Owner of TheStreet, Site Founded by Jim Cramer, Taps Small-Business Loans". Washington Post. Retrieved 10 July 2020.
- "Maven Rebrands as The Arena Group, Expanding Business Strategy Around Consumer Media Verticals Anchored by Flagship Brands". BusinessWire. Retrieved 17 December 2021.
- Form 10-K Thestreet, Inc. 10-K - Annual report - Period Ending In: 1999-12-31
- Form 10-K Thestreet, Inc. 10-K - Annual report - Period Ending In: 2001-12-31
- "TheStreet.co.uk launches with major dotcom campaign". Campaign. 2000-02-15.
- Matthew, Broersma (2000-11-17). "TheStreet.co.uk shuts its doors". ZDnet.