2022 resolution of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine recognising the Chechen Republic of Ichkeria
|Recognition of the Chechen Republic of Ichkeria|
|Considered by||Verkhovna Rada|
|Introduced by||Oleksiy Honcharenko|
|Passed||14 July 2022|
The resolution on recognition of the state sovereignty of the Chechen Republic of Ichkeria is a bill proposed by Oleksiy Honcharenko and Musa Mahomedov in which the Verkhovna Rada, the Ukrainian parliament, will vote on the recognition of Chechnya's independence, in response to Russia's recognition of the Luhansk People's Republic and the Donetsk People's Republic.
On November 9, the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine also registered a draft resolution on the recognition of state sovereignty and independence of Tatarstan.
It was received by the Verkhovna Rada on 11 July and handed over to the leadership on the same day. It was sent to the committee for consideration on the 13 July and was provided for reference on 14 July. On 18 October 2022, the decision of the Verkhovna Rada to recognize the Chechen Republic of Ichkeria as temporarily occupied by Russia awaits the signature of President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. Ukrainian parliamentarians also condemned Russia's genocide of the Chechen people in a corresponding document.
In early November, Zelenskyy responded to the Verkhovna Rada's vote and a petition with 25,000 signatures by ordering the Ukrainian Ministry of Foreign Affairs to research if, how, and in which form Ukraine could recognize the Chechen Republic of Ichkeria. He emphasized that it was the Ukrainian President's prerogative to extend full diplomatic recognition to other states.
- – On 13 July, Ramzan Kadyrov, the head of Chechnya, called the draft resolution as "absolutely ridiculous and absurd" and recalled that "Ichkeria does not exist even on paper" and added "It was liquidated by the former Ichkerians themselves, who announced in 2007 the abolition of Ichkeria and the creation of the so-called Imarat Kavkaz".
- ^ "Проект Постанови про визнання державного суверенітету Чеченської Республіки Ічкерія". Ukrainian Rada. 11 July 2022. Retrieved 19 July 2022.
- ^ "Ukraine's parliament declares 'Chechen Republic of Ichkeria' Russian-occupied territory". Meduza. Retrieved 19 October 2022.
- ^ "Татарстан первый, очередь за другими. В списке есть и Башкортостан". RFE/RL.
- ^ "Ukraine recognizes the Chechen Republic of Ichkeria". english.nv.ua.
- ^ "Ukraine's parliament recognizes Chechen Republic of Ichkeria as temporarily occupied by Russia". The Kyiv Independent. 18 October 2022.
- ^ "Ukraine recognizes the Chechen Republic of Ichkeria". news.yahoo.com.
- ^ "Zelensky instructed the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to consider the possibility of recognizing the independence of the Chechen Republic of Ichkeria". babel.ua. 3 November 2022. Retrieved 6 November 2022.
- ^ "Zelensky Orders Study On Extending Diplomatic Recognition To Chechnya-Ichkeria – OpEd". eurasiareview.com. 6 November 2022. Retrieved 6 November 2022.
- ^ Узел, Кавказский. "Kadyrov reacts to Ukrainian MPs' initiative to recognize independence of Ichkeria". Caucasian Knot.
Part of the Russo-Ukrainian War
This article relating to Ukraine is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.